Saturday, September 5, 2009

Work for Free

A sore spot, for me, on Yahoo Answers, is when someone requests artwork to be done "for free." Sure, there are some good occasions for a professional to do work for no charge. Doing "pro bono" projects is a good way for a newcomer to get some work seen by the public. Even fully established pros will do some work for worthy charities or similar organizations. It's good for the sould and besides, it can be a terrific tax deduction.

But it really hits a sore spot on me when someone does not recognize the value of what I do for a living and does not consider my work to be worth anything. For example, a question may pop up on Yahoo Answers where someone is opening up a restaurant, repair shop, hair salon, photo studio or some other kind of business establishment and then ask for a logo, ad, or some other kind of design work to help him "get started." And, this person wants it done "for free."

What these people don't realize is that we, pros, get good money for this type of work. We spend years in school and hundreds, even thousands of hours practicing our craft. That's what it takes to become professionals. The skills that come from this have real, monetary value. But, for some reason, these, so called, business owners think that if they have kids who can scribble crayons on paper, that trained artists can produce real artwork and designs without much more effort. I have to respond to that restauranteur by asking if the local butcher gives him meat, "for free," just to get him started. I wonder if the phone company lets the first couple of month's billing cycles go by, because, after all, how much effort does Ma Bell REALLY put into connecting each phone call coming in or going out? Is the photographer going into business to GIVE his services away? How long would the hair stylist remain in business by giving away free perms? What makes these people think that MY services are of any less value than theirs?

I am well aware that there is a chance that they will find somebody, SOME sucker, willing to draw up their logo, layout their menu, even draw up an ad for them and not charge. But I do take the time to warn the asker that the old cliche' of "You get what you pay for." really does apply, here. Amateur work tends to look, well, amateurish. There is a reason pros tend to charge so much. The results are WORTH IT.

About thirty years ago, NBC changed the look of their old peacock logo. It cost them four million dollars. Last year, Pepsi changed the look of their "globe" logo. I read that it cost them nine million dollars, PLUS, another sixteen million to implement the changes world-wide. Do you think these major, multi-national corporations were willing to pay this kind of money only because the designers could get away with charging this much? Or don't you suppose that these companies actually think they were getting value for the services they received?

To those who don't think what I do has value: People! I work hard at what I do. And I'm darn good at it. I deserve to get paid for it. The only way I WOULDN'T deserve it is if I didn't do it so well.

But that's not how I work.

My little fingers are all out of breath from this rant. I must let them cool off around a cold can of suds.

Cheers,

luv,

vince.

No comments:

Post a Comment