Tuesday, November 3, 2009

More Images: Cartoon Sketches

Lazy, lazy me.

I can always find something OTHER do do than what really needs to be done. If not the BIGGEST procrastinator in history, I must run a close second.

Rather than compose a piece of one of my usual ravings, I decided to post more of my illustrative work and write about them. It may not be particularly instructive, but, I hope it can be fun.



This first one was a rough sketch for a client who ran a Karate dojo. He wanted a design for his line of tee shirts. He actually posed for this one. The only differences between this sketch and the final design is a more dramatic stance, with him squatting deeper and, of course, thicker, cleaner lines. The final piece was a white image on deep red tees. I can't show you the final design because he bought the exclusive copyrights to the piece.

This was scanned from the original pencil sketch that was inked with an ordinary Sharpie marker. Sharpie is my favorite inking tool, chosen after years of drawing dip pens, Rotring and Pentel technical pens.





This was an illustration for a piece written for California True West Magazine. It was a comic parody of the classic "High Noon" showdown gunfight story.


This piece was done with charcoal on Strathmore drawing paper. I chose the medium, over the more traditional pen and ink because it had an "older," more 19th century look and I thought it more appropriate.









Anyone following my Yahoo Answers posts already knows that one of my favorite subjects that I do "for fun," is Science Fiction and Fanasy illustration.

This one is a pencil drawing, done with an ordiary number two pencil on ordinary copy paper. It depicts some kind of "prisoner" in a zero G environment. His cell is barred with something that appears to be a kind of flexible wire instead of metal bars. Even I don't always understand the logic of what I draw.





I tried marketing a "Women of Power" series of illustrations to a couple of Science Fiction magazines in the seventies. The series was never picked up, but I have to say that I was pleased with the way the drawings turned out.


In this particular piece, I wanted to show a female hero beating the crap out of a male antagonist. She is, clearly smaller than the bad guy, but he appears, at this point, to be pretty helpless against her onslaught.


Sharpie on copy paper.




No action pose, but this next "Woman of Power" is intended to look very capable and still quite feminine. Unlike many of the others of the series, I never did think this character through other scenarios than the one here, just posing. For example, what did I think she would do with the spear if she was shooting the bow? Or vice versa. I guess I should have had, either, the bow or the spear strapped to her back in some way.


Sharpie on copy paper.





Another in my "Women of Power" series depicts a woman of some unspecified "futuristic" time working at some typically male dominated job. She is shown operating some kind of power assisted suit that is meant to amplify human strenth by mechanical means.


Before anyone else makes the mental connection, I'd like to point out that my illustration PREDATES the outfit used by the character, Ripley in the second "Aliens" movie starring Sigourny Weaver.

Sharpie on copy paper.
This is just a rough pencil sketch on a piece of graph paper. It is meant to show a construction worker in space. The sketch was drawn decades before the International Space station and, is probably intended to show work being done decades afterwards. Note apparent lightness and flexibility of the suit, compared to the bulky EVA suits current astronauts have to work in.
I consciously was working out some zero G problems, such as how a weightless worker would drive a rivit by bracing himslef against a beam, directly in line with the thrust of the tool.
Clever, huh?
That's it, for now.
Luv,
vince

No comments:

Post a Comment