Monday, October 12, 2009

Does Spelling Count?

Really, should people get bent out of shape if the spelling and syntax on phone texts and online communications are the proper "King's English?"

Where I see it as a problem is in the increasing popularity of using some form of "textspeak" in ALL forms of digital communication. It's one thing when friends and peers "OMG!" "WTF" "LOL" and "MJIAMOB*" to each other all day. After all, the purpose of communication is to pass on information. If the reciever gets a clear message, then the job is done. What really bothers me is when people use the forms and expect EVERYONE to understand what was sent. In a forum like Yahoo Answers, folks put out questions and hope to recieve answers from people who KNOW the subject. Sorry kiddies. Most of the folks who really KNOW the answers to the most difficult questions are not empty headed tweenagers who share the same cultural standards you do.
Spelling can be equally critical. "What dose..?" and "What does ...?" have entirely different meanings. "Where can I get authentic Japanese tempura?" should not recieve the same answer as "Where can I get authentic Japanese tempera?" It breaks my heart to see what appear to be high schoolers spelling like third graders. It gives me pause. Should I help this person get his grade on an art class when he should clearly be working on his English grammar?

Cutsie abbreviations and anagrams and missing punctuation and capitalization often aren't clear on what the message is. I have seen entire one hundred word paragraphs with no capitalization and not a single punctuation mark. It may, or may not have been possible to, eventually, ferret out the meaning of the question, but, if the asker can't be bothered to make the question clear, why should I go through all the work to try to read it, just to do that person a favor? Plus, often, these askers will assume we can read their minds and know exactly what they mean. "What's the name of that picture that has, like a girl, and she's wearing boots and was in the background of that movie where the guy shoots that other guy?"

The asker, clearly sees the image he is thinking of, but how does he expect us to see it as well?

My point is that if one wants to ask for legitimate answers to questions, he should be making it as EASY as possible for us to understand the question. I'm willing to put in some work into finding some answers, (my YA profile can attest to that) but I'll be damned if I have to do the hard work trying to figure out what the question is.

Enough of this rant. I'd like to share another image. Allow me to introduce "Falstaff." Falstaff was originally created for one of the old Dungeons and Dragons fan books. He is gallant, brave, true hearted, strong and smart as an axe handle.


This particular form for the character was done to serve as the "prize" for and online artist's forum contest.

This image is a color pencil rendition of the charater, scanned in and then background added in Photoshop.




*Mrs. Jones is a mean old biddy!" (at least, I THINK that's what it means)

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. My step-sister is bad for not spelling things correctly, it drives me insane. She's 16, come on! She claims to read a lot, but frankly, I think it's romance novels and Twilight, neither of which will exactly expand one's vocabulary.

    I don't bother to read the questions on YA that aren't coherent. Like you said, they don't bother to get their question across clearly, they don't get an answer from me.

    I think I'll be reading more of your blog, I find it very interesting

    ReplyDelete