Friday, September 18, 2009

Fan Mail or a form of Spam

I may have picked up a fan on Yahoo Answers. It appears that someone is going back through many of my old responses (as well as more recent) and voting mine as "Best Answer."

Normally, I'd be very flattered by the attention and recognition. But, this person has been doing it to the tune of over a hundred a day for the last few days. Here's the problem. Everytime one of mine gets voted "Best Answer," Yahoo automatically sends and email informing me of this. The problem is that it has been clogging up my email inbox. One of my simple pleasures has always been to open my mail and see the usual three, four or more mails showing another few "Best Answers." I open the mail, see which questions got the vote and click into the link so I can re read the question, note whether it was the asker's determination and read his commments or whether it was voted on by other readers. I contribute a LOT to Yahoo Answers and these notifications are my "feedback" to my contribution.

But now, these notifications have become a nuisance. The first couple of days I was plowing through page after page of these, but found myself losing a lot of time that should be devoted to my work and other interests. I was offline for two days and this morning I found about 250 new emails, most of them from Yahoo Answers. After spending about a half hour going through them, I decided, finally, to just select and delete the messages remaining, unread. Kind of takes away that "little pleasure" I was getting from it.

If that "fan" of mine reads this blog, then please, please, show some restraint. I really don't need the points that YA offers. I'm already at the highest participation level. Thanks for the interest. I really DO appreciate it, but what I'm afraid might happens is that I'll get "reported" for using some unfair practice of voting for my own responses, via proxy, for "Best Answer." Believe me, I know, for a fact, that others get to the top levels by doing just that. But I know for a fact, as I'm sure do you, that I got my points and level the hard way, by providing the best, most accurate information I have available.

I'd hate to lose my hard earned credibility by my responses being cheapened by suspicion of underhanded "playing for points," instead of because of my desire to help. Please, slow it down or pace it out a bit.

So, thanks for the points. It's given me a boost in ego, and I hope you still show interest in what I have to offer. What I really hope is that you become a fan of what I am trying to accomplish in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment